DIY Scrapbook Paper Inspired by New Collections

My version of the Pink Paislee floral paper Welcome back to another installment about my stash kit that I created using the Hip Kit Clu...

My version of the Pink Paislee floral paper

Welcome back to another installment about my stash kit that I created using the Hip Kit Club's May 2015 kit as inspiration to draw from.  One thing I really love to do when I'm creating scrapbooking kits from my stash is to create new DIY papers that have been inspired by the new lines and collections that are often included in kit clubs.

This is a great kit for creating your own backgrounds.  I tried to stick with my version of the Hip Kit Club's color add-on in the creation of my DIY papers for this stash kit. The original color add-on included:
  • 1 pkg. - Amy Tangerine - Rise & Shine - Brooklyn Stencils (set of 6) 
  • 1 Ranger - Paint Dabber - Lemon Twist 
  • 1 Ranger - Paint Dabber - Electric Lime 
  •  1 Tim Holtz - Lagoon Mermaid - Distress Ink Pad (3"x3") 
For my version of the color add-on, I used Heidi Swapp Color Magic 3x4 Stencil Minis: Patterns, acrylic paint in bright yellow and neon green, Distress Stain in Peacock Feathers, Pumice Stone, and Aged Mahogany.


One of the papers that I really loved from the original Hip Kit was the floral paper with lemons on the other side by Pink Paislee in the Citrus Bliss collection.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find any white ink - which would have looked a lot cooler, I think.  Ah the perils of moving, I tell ya! 


So instead I took my Distress Stain in Pumice Stone and attempted to stamp with it using some clear stamps from Lawn Fawn (Blissful Botanicals).  However, Distress inks of any kind hate me, so of course that didn't work the way I wanted it to.  I switched off to some black Archival ink and created a floral cluster on some packaging (because my acrylic block was too small).  Once the white cardstock was pretty much covered in the floral design, I went back through and cleaned up the stamping using a Sharpie pen to fix areas that hadn't stamped as cleanly as I liked.  Finally, I used the packaging technique and the Pumice Stone stain to get some of that grey back into the design, since it had inspired me originally.  It is definitely not an exact replica, but I also think I may like mine even better!



I also decided to try my hand at the Pink Paislee paper called Brunch that is included in the original Hip Kit.  This was just a simple grey background with white polka dots and then a ledger style pattern on the backside.  I ended up making both patterns.  For the first side (polka dots), I just applied Pumice Stone Distress Stain and used a stencil to apply some gesso for my polka dots.  The ledger pattern that I created was done by applying regular notebook paper to a piece of white cardstock using gel medium.  After that was dry, I went back through and applied white gesso to tone down the lines.  I do apologize that I don't have photos for all the papers I created, but I was so excited to use them that I forgot to take a picture of the finished paper first!  Blast it!  


Another paper I've DIY'ed for this kit was a paper (Very Vanilla) from Dear Lizzy's Serendipity collection.  Very Vanilla is an ombre paper with pink dots found in the original Hip Kit. 


This was a really simple paper to DIY.  I took pink Memento ink in Rosebud and applied dots using a qtip to a piece of white cardstock.  I tried to vary the concentration of the dots as I moved down the page, as well as the value by slowly moving to light/less ink towards the bottom of the page.  Once the ink was dry, I realized it still needed something to give it the soft look the original Dear Lizzy paper had to it.  I decided to apply a thin layer of gesso working my way up from the bottom of the page.


Here is the layout that I made with my inspired Dear Lizzy paper.  Somehow I forgot to take a photo of the finished paper!  I also made a process video for this layout and somehow deleted it before uploading.  Obviously, I'm not doing very well at showing my process, and I do greatly apologize!  This layout uses Heidi Swapp papers, Authentique stickers, Carta Bella alphas, and some stamped flowers that I made to coordinate with my stash kit.  My daughter and I had such a blast on this day, when we got snowed in - argh January weather!  We colored, and played with puzzles, and watched cartoons and cuddled.  It was fantastic!

I hope I've inspired you to try your hand at playing around with products you probably already have in your stash to make some fresh new papers to get your scrapbooking your memories!  For more information on my version of the Hip Kit Club's May 2015 kit, check out my Counterfeit Kit post.  I will be back tomorrow with another #blogtember prompt.  And some process videos are up and coming, I promise I won't delete any more videos until I triple check I've uploaded the darn things!





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images