DIY Embellishments Inspired by New Collections

Welcome back to another installment about my stash kit that I created using the Hip Kit Club's May 2015 kit as inspiration to draw ...


Welcome back to another installment about my stash kit that I created using the Hip Kit Club's May 2015 kit as inspiration to draw from.  Another way to stretch your stash and freshen things up is create new DIY embellishments that have been inspired by the new lines and collections that are often included in kit clubs.  These can be used to create clusters or accents for your scrapbooking pages.

For this kit, I was inspired by the labels in the Hip Kit Club's Project Life kit.  These labels were made by October Afternoon from the Treasure Map line.  I also like the cut-apart sheet from the main scrapbooking kit by Chickaniddy from the Yippee line (Here's the Story paper).  I decided to make my own version of labels, which I've been experimenting with lately, because I really like labels and you definitely cannot have too many, right?  For this batch, I took a 4x6 piece of cardstock and used Distress Stain in Peacock Feathers, Pumice Stone, and Aged Magohany to create a striped background.  Then, I cut some strips off the inked piece and used a corner punch on just the ends.  This gave my labels a decorative edge that I love.  I also created a tag and two flag/pendants with what was left of the inked piece of paper.


Another handmade embellishment that I created for this scrapbooking stash kit was some stamped and punched circles.  Circles were a large theme in the original Hip Kit and I loved the Pink Paislee paper Citrus Bliss - Sour Paper.


In order to achieve a similar look, I glued down some book pages to a piece of white cardstock.  I decided to layer some gesso over the book pages to bring them together and tone them down a bit.  I also found a previously unused stamp that was a circle with some kind of asian symbol in the middle.  I decided that would be perfect for this project, minus the symbol, so I just didn't ink that part when I stamped!


For the stamped circles, I simply fussy cut them out, because they were larger than my circle punch.  After the images were cut, I went back through the left over paper and used my circle punch so that I had two different sizes of circles to play around with in my kit.  Check out how they turned out!  I love them!


I also rediscovered this great cut-apart sheet from Echo Park while I was digging through my scrapbooking stash for papers for my kit.  I decided I could fussy cut the frames out and have some frames to play around with.  I just trimmed the frames and then fussy cut them with an exacto knife. I kept some intact to use as filler cards and tags, as well as that super cute border!


You can see some of these pieces in action in this scrapbooking process video that I made for my stepfather's 70th birthday celebration.  My mom made him a German chocolate cake and put a little lego Sheldon from Big Bang Theory on his cake!


In addition to these DIY embellishments, I also made up quite a few index cards (or 4x6 cards on white cardstock) for Index-Card-a-Day.  These cards were inspired by the Hip Kit Club's May 2015 offerings as well, so for more ideas for using your stash and creating some DIY embellishments check out ICAD 2015.  For a full listing of what is in my current stash kit take a look at Counterfeit Kit of the May Hip Kit Club 2015.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images