Choosing a Word of the Year for 2016

Hello, lovelies, and Happy New Year!  How is 2016 treating you so far?  Well, if you're anything like me, this is the time of year t...


Hello, lovelies, and Happy New Year!  How is 2016 treating you so far?  Well, if you're anything like me, this is the time of year that we think up resolutions and changes we want to make to our lives this year.  I've never been very successful with resolutions, so for the past five years I have been choosing a Word of the Year to encourage and guide me to make the changes that I desire in my life.  I have done a variety of words through the years from play to create to flow for last year.  So I spent my New Year's Eve drinking some lovely Serena wine and choosing on my Word of 2016!

When it came to deciding on my guiding word for this year, I struggled between three different words that all felt right for a variety of reasons.  The words that I wrestled with this year were Action, Focus, and Fearless.  I decided to try out Christine Kane's Word of the Year Discovery Tool in order to help me think through my reasons for each word.  You won't believe what I found when I dug deeper into how each of these three words would effect my life.  All three of my words ended up expanding into the same ideas and changes that I want to make with very slight differences in attitude and the process in which I would achieve these changes!  Truthfully, I debated for several moments if I should just rearrange my words into a phrase and call it good enough - Focused Fearless Action!

ac·tion

/ˈakSH(ə)n/

noun
  • 1. the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim (synonyms: measures, steps, activity, movement, work)
  • 2. a thing done; an act (synonyms: deed, act, move, undertaking, exploit)
I felt like Action was the perfect word for the year.  I've known action was going to be my word for several months.  I have lots of projects, ideas, and stuff that I have got to get a move on in order to succeed this year!  Action would help move me towards my goals.  I knew that habits that encourage action would help me in all areas of my life.  Action would also cross-over to other areas of my life, not just art and work related, because it would help me get chores done, commitments achieved, and planning integrated into my life!  By committing to daily planning, I could determine my top 3 things that I have to get done and then through action I would work on achieving these goals and action steps in order to build upon my long-term goals for the year.  I would get more things done and stop procrastination in its tracks.

fo·cus

/ˈfōkəs/

noun
  • 1. the center of interest or activity (synonyms: center, focal point, central point, center of attention, hub)
  • 2. the state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition
verb
  • 1. (of a person or their eyes) adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly 
  • 2. pay particular attention to
I believed that Focus was a great Word for the Year to guide me.  Focus would bring enhanced concentration on the important things that need doing every single day.  I’m trying to focus this year on really accomplishing my goals.  These goals range from developing my handmade business to expanding my YouTube, Blog, and Social Media presence.  Focus would move me towards success in batching my processes, routine creation, business development, and helping me move through my action steps with concentration on the most important items first instead of the busy work.

fear·less

/ˈfirləs/

adjective
1. lacking fear "a fearless defender of freedom" synonyms: bold, brave, courageous, intrepid, valiant
I briefly debated on Fearless.  Honestly, this was the most seredipitous of all the potential words.  I found this word in a zentangle piece that I created earlier in the year as I was flipping through my art journals.  And it made me go "Hmm..."  The reason this word felt so right was because I need to believe in what I'm doing 100%.  I need to act fearlessly and try things, experiment, and make changes when things aren’t working.  But above all of those things I have to remain fearless for the year, not allowing doubt to invade and destroy my dreams.  Being Fearless encourages taking risks daily, which doesn't allow fear to let in procrastination tendencies.  By allowing this word to guide my year, I would be braver by the end of it, and more willing to try new things, plus have new knowledge and training in new techniques from all the risk-taking throughout the year.

Know The Triggers that Stop Your Dreams

Another really helpful part of the Word of the Year Discovery Tool is the determination of your triggers that are stopping you from making these valuable changes in your life.  My three triggers are:
  1. Procrastination - when something seems overwhelming, I don’t do any of it
  2. Fear of Failure
  3. Lack of Confidence in myself and my abilities
Basically, I get overwhelmed by everything I have to do without focusing on the most important steps and then I don’t do anything except sit on the couch and watch TV.  I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world like that right?  I struggle with the idea that anyone in the world actually cares about me, my projects, so I don’t take additional risks that would push the envelope.  I’m afraid that I will fail, even when I devote 100% of myself to something so I devote less than 10% and I still fail.

Ask Someone Close to Help with Your Word of the Year

Even after having completed the Toolkit, I couldn't decide between my three words.  Especially since, it was clear that except for some minor differences, I wanted the same end result between all three.  So I read it to my husband.  Everything that I had written!  Without telling him what the three potential words were.  Then I asked him what my word was.  The funniest part of this whole experience was that the first words out of his mouth were,
"Well, I know one of your words is Focus.  And I think that's the one you need to use this year."
And then we had an hour long discussion on exactly why that was my word.  So don't forget to let your friends or family help you if you're still stuck on a decision!  Sometimes, they know you better than you know yourself.  Other people can often see the things that we have put blinders on about or even things we are just avoiding.  And your best friends and close family are the people who will usually call you out about it!


Add New Habits to Help Embrace Your Word

So this year I'm going to try to incorporate these 5 new proactive habits and practices as a means of supporting embracing the word Focus more fully, because just choosing a word isn't enough.  Your word is not a magic pill to fix everything that is wrong in life.  Your word is simply a guiding force that you can use to bring about change, big or small, that you feel you need this year.
  1. Daily Planning Sessions
  2. One act of Fearless Creation Daily (more on this next week!)
  3. Focusing on the top three action steps to complete my projects
  4. Daily writing - tuning into myself, my feelings, and how I’m moving towards my goals
  5. Prepping materials for projects in order to complete projects, but break down everything into actionable steps that can be scheduled into the day
I would love to hear what your word for the year is and what changes you are going to make to incorporate and live with your word this year!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images