Adult Coloring Book

Last weekend, I went out and had a bit of a shopping haul.  I picked up a ton of cool stuff that I'm still in the process of playing ...


Last weekend, I went out and had a bit of a shopping haul.  I picked up a ton of cool stuff that I'm still in the process of playing with and discovering (no worries, I'll tell you all about it soon) it all.  However, this week I got really sick with some kind of flu and spent the entire day on Friday and Saturday on the couch moaning, miserable, and praying that I wouldn't have to get up.  So in my more coherent moments, I decided to play in the new adult coloring book that I picked up.

The book is part of Dover's Creative Haven series of adult coloring books, and I picked it up at Michael's for about six dollars.  The title of the book is Entangled and the drawings are by Angela Porter.  I originally bought it for Jamie, because he has been wanting something to focus some mental energy on and get some creativity into his day.  And to be perfectly honest there are half a dozen amazing artists that I follow on Instagram that have coloring books that I would have purchased from first, if this had been a thought out process instead of a splurge kind of deal.  However, I will definitely be picking up some of these as Christmas gifts now that I've seen how this one has gone over!


Anyway, I just played around with some basic color pencils (read - nothing fancy), which are probably a step below Crayola.  I choose a mandala style piece, because, well, I love them so much!  Mandalas are one of my favorite doodle forms to draw and decorate.  I messed around a little bit with shading, but I honestly have no idea how to shade with colored pencils.  I'm still trying to teach myself about that!


Once I was about halfway done with my piece, Jamie decided he needed to play too.  He decided on a page that reminded him of steampunk.  And then he whined that he had such limited colors (because I refused to give him any that I was currently using).  So I suppose some additional colored pencils should go on that Christmas list, as well!


Have you had any experience with the new trend of adult coloring books?  Do you love them?  Hate them?  I'd love to hear your opinions!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images